Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Jagernaut (Non)-Violent Kickball of Truth/Defeat Is Not an Option Peninusla First Week Recap!

Welcome back my friends to the opening night of the Jagernaut 4th season! (and my opening night write up recap. I apologize if I am a bit rusty and the layout sucks, I haven't quite figured out all of the blog coding and I didn’t get my share of tiger blood today)

This year, some personnel changes brought the Jagernauts their first taste of real change since their inception 2 years ago. With the losses of John Meier and Eddie Seavers, Katie Graham and Tom Janule, the Jagers worked hard in the offseason filling in the holes of the roster.

New look Jager infield, Kim Merritt (Ch) and Mike Seals (P)
They did by adding veterans Kim “I have been playing kickball for like 400 years now” Merritt, Mike “If I don’t intimidate you, then let me show you what a 100 MPH pitched kickball looks like” Seals and ‘Ms. Commissioner’ Dottie Wood. For at least the first week it seemed to work as they won a hard fought battle against a revamped and retooled 5 O’Clocker team.
The top of the order promptly did its job and put three runs on the board thanks to aggressive base running and mental defensive errors by the Clockers. Leadoff man, Dan Moore, squeezed by a throw to home to start the scoring, while two more runs crossed the plate from veterans Mike Ramey and Mike Seals off of RKIs by (birthday girl) Nicci Surething and Kim Merritt.
Joe Mazzitti scores in the 4th off of Nicci Surething's RKI.
The runs didn’t stop there, as the play of the game was highlighted by Nicci Surething, which executed a beautifully placed bunt, beat out the throw and gathered a second RKI when Charger Joe Mazzitti crossed home plate in the fourth inning.

The new look Jagernaut defense matched the Jagernaut offense as it held the dangerous 5 O’Clockers to three runs. A combination of solid pitching by starter Kim Merritt, middle reliever Mike Seals and closer Dan Moore got the job done incurring only one run each, which was given a big help by the Jagernaut defense. Key catches by outfielders Alden Lawrence and Justin Arrington held the 5 O’Clocker big kickers to long outs.
“I wouldn’t say we’re a ‘well oiled machine’ as of right now, I guess a better analogy would be that ‘we’re half lubed.’ We’re still getting the in’s-and-out’s worked out. We didn’t want to push too hard as it was only our first game. But I’m sure everything will come out alright” said returning starter Kim Merritt when asked about the retooling which occurred over the offseason. When asked if the upgraded 24-oz pounder beer selection at War Memorial Stadium had anything to do with the win, closer Dan Moore remarked “Well it certainly didn’t hurt...well, ok, maybe it did a bit this morning.” Game MVP, Nicci Surething added “I was waiting my whole life for a game like this. It was awesome and the best birthday I every had!” Nicci was 2 for 2 with 2 RKIs and solid defense at second base. The game ball went to her and I am assuming that she promptly went home and displayed on her mantle next to her Doctorate Diploma, various cat pictures, unicorn figurines, trinkets and other lifetime accomplishment trophies.
The Jagernauts cannot get complacent in the early season as the early challenges don’t stop. Next week, the Jagernauts play a doubleheader against the Chubby Gangsters, which is another potentially dangerous team with a retooled lineup, and relative newcomer Moose Knuckles.

Justin’s Note: Until next week Chubby Gangster Captain, Buster Patterson, and I are not on speaking terms…HAIL TO THE JAGERNAUTS!!!

Justin's 2nd Note: And for those of us who missed the Huey Lewis and the News concert at the Ferguson Center on opening night...you can get your Huey Lewis fix here! (PS I love this new blog format, I can post all kinds of good youtube videos here!)


1 comment:

  1. Awesome write up there Justin. Thank you for the MVP award as well, it is definitely on my mantel next to my trinkets:)

    ReplyDelete